Monday morning starts with an alarm ringing at 5:30 a.m., then 5:35, then 5:40. I need all three because I often don’t get enough sleep and I may sleep through one or even two of my alarms. I wake up, and grab my pre-packed swim bag with my clothes and toiletries for the day, along with my school backpack.

I trek through the snow to get to the Varsity Athletic Training Center where we begin our lifting session at 6:00 a.m. We stretch and then lift until 7:00, at which time we trade places with the girls and have a swim session. The swim session on Monday mornings is one where we train for our specialty rather than a broad set. The session in the pool typically goes from about 7:05 until about 7:50.

After practice, I shower, brush my teeth and get dressed and ready for the day. Along with the rest of my team, we go up to the dining hall which we call the “Caf” and eat breakfast quickly. Most of us have unlimited meal plans because we eat so much and so often.

My first class starts at 8:30 a.m. so after eating breakfast and drinking some coffee, I make my way over to my sociology class, which gets out at 9:45. After that class ends, I make my way over to Science Hall for my 10: a.m. biology lecture which ends at 11:15.

After I get out of biology lecture at 11:15 a.m., I have until 12:30 p.m. to eat lunch, take a nap, or both. Most of the time I do both. I take about a twenty-minute power nap, switch out my textbooks, and head over to the Caf for a quick meal.

By 12:30 p.m., I am back in Science Hall for biology lab. This class is always a long one because we have to actively participate in a lab for almost two hours. Once this class gets out it is already 2:20 p.m. and our practice started at 2:00. Unfortunately, this is the only lab that fits in my schedule, and the coach knows that and understands that I don’t have a choice. I race over to practice to get there as soon as possible, and we swim until 4:15 p.m. After a quick shower and quick sauna treatment, I’m on my way.

I usually go to the training room on Mondays to take an ice bath, roll out, and maybe do some other therapeutic treatments. After the treatments, I go to the Caf to eat dinner with the team until about 5:30 p.m.

It is now homework time. I head over to my dorm to get my backpack, homework and the textbooks that I need for the night. I typically go to the office of student-athlete advising, because we get free printing there which comes in handy. Sometimes I stay there to study, and other times I print what I need then I head over to the library.

On Monday nights, depending on how much homework I have, I stay until about 11:30 p.m. After that, I go back to my dorm to relax with my friends for a little bit. Usually around 12:00 or so we go to one of the on-campus restaurants that are still open to get food, then we come right back. At this point, it is about 12:30 a.m., and if I have more homework, I do it. If not I pack my bag and head to sleep to do it again the next day.

-Division I swimmer


Michelle Lombana is committed to helping parents like her whose children want to swim in college. Membership in the College Swimming Guide Fast Lane guides you through the process with spreadsheets of times needed to score at Conference Championship Meets, Top Event Times at all college swim programs in the U.S., sample emails to coaches, and monthly action items. Michelle is available for private consulting for Fast Lane members as well.


Make A Splash!

Subscribe to get the free newsletter and learn how to prepare your swimmer to swim in college.

Powered by ConvertKit



Pin It on Pinterest

Share This